TaxJar - How to Guide
TaxJar is a third-party tax calculation and reporting app that you can integrate with Spiffy Checkouts. It has more advanced tax reporting and filing capabilities that are well-suited for companies based in the United States.
1) Go to Profile and select Integrations
2) Next, select TaxJar
3) Add your TaxJar SmartCalc API key and connect
- You must have a TaxJar account to get the TaxJar SmartCalc API key
- You can obtain your TaxJar API key by logging into your TaxJar account and heading to https://app.taxjar.com/account#api-acces
- If you haven't used TaxJar's API key before, you may need to click a button to generate your key
You've successfully connected your Spiffy account with TaxJar. You'll see a confirmation message like this
For help setting up a TaxJar account, you can visit https://support.taxjar.com
4) Update Your Existing Checkouts & Subscriptions to be Taxable
You will enable tax differently depending on whether your product is a:
- Standard offer
- Subscription based product
NOTE: If you are using both subscriptions and one-time payment items on a single checkout together, and you need to charge tax for both, you will need to follow the steps for both Subscriptions and Standard Offers below, to make the entire checkout taxable.
To enable tax calculations on your standard offer checkouts, you will need to head into each of your checkouts, and make each item Taxable.
From the Checkout Editor, click into the Offer section from the side bar. Next, under Manage Items, click the "..." next to each offer and select Taxable for any order items that should calculate tax.
Subscription Based Products
To enable tax calculation on Subscription based products, first go to Products on the Spiffy Dashboard, and click the subscription you want to make taxable.
Next, select Settings and the tick the Is this product taxable? option.
Got a question? Send us an email over at email@example.com