Taxes by Spiffy - How To Guide
Taxes by Spiffy is designed to be a quick and easy solution to start charging sales tax on checkouts.
If you set up your taxable country as United States, you will be able to select all of the states that you will need to charge tax in (Nexus).
If you select the United Kingdom or another country in Europe, you will be able to start automatically charging VAT - as well as enable VAT MOSS - if you are enrolled.
NOTE: Taxes by Spiffy is designed to provide a tool for calculating taxes, Spiffy does not handle any filing or reporting on taxes. For a more advanced tax solution, we have a TaxJar integration you can check out.
- In the US, Spiffy bases tax calculations on the State & Zipcode selected at checkout
- In the UK and the rest of Europe, Spiffy bases tax calculations on the Country
- Therefore, you MUST have the billing address fields on your checkout
Here's how to set up Taxes by Spiffy:
- Connect the Taxes by Spiffy integration, by clicking your profile in the top right and selecting Integrations
- Configure your Tax Settings for the taxes integration
- Edit your existing products and items on your checkouts to be taxable!
1. Connect Taxes by Spiffy Integration
Click on the profile icon at the top right of the Spiffy Dashboard, and select Integrations
From the available integrations, scroll down select Taxes by Spiffy
2. Configure Your Tax Settings
Select your Business Country from the dropdown menu, and select Enable Taxes. Selecting United States or UK/EU countries will display additional configuration options.
If you have selected the US, you can now enter the States where you have Nexus, and where you need to charge tax.
UK or EU countries
Once you have selected UK/EU, you will have the option to enable taxes, as well as enabling VAT MOSS if you are already enrolled in the VAT Mini One Stop Shop. You can find more information about VAT MOSS here
3. Update Your Existing Checkouts & Subscriptions to be Taxable
You will enable tax differently depending on whether your product is a:
- Standard offer
- Subscription based product
NOTE: If you are using both subscriptions and one-time payment items on a single checkout together, and you need to charge tax for both, you will need to follow the steps for both Subscriptions and Standard Offers below, to make the entire checkout taxable.
To enable tax calculations on your standard offer checkouts, you will need to head into each of your checkouts, and make each item Taxable.
From the Checkout Editor, click into the Offer section from the side bar. Next, under Manage Items, click the "..." next to each offer and select Taxable for any order items that should calculate tax.
Subscription Based Products
To enable tax calculation on Subscription based products, first go to Products on the Spiffy Dashboard, and click the subscription you want to make taxable.
Next, select Settings and the tick the Is this product taxable? option.
Got a question? Send us an email over at email@example.com